Цитатник

Любители джаза и авангарда говорят о кино, литературе и проч.

Модераторы: wolk_off, AlexMachen

AlexMachen
модератор
Контактная информация:

Цитатник

Сообщение AlexMachen » Чт ноя 20, 2008 13:28

последнее время перечитую всякие штуки и попадаются интересные фразы, истории и т.п.

интервью Бёртона Грина

о креативности и поиске своего языка...
...concert of John Zorn doing his Ornette Coleman covers, and Cecil Taylor showed up. After a while Cecil turns to me and says, "Burton, why are all these young cats trying to recreate the museum?"
о Бернарде Соллмане...
How did you hook up with ESP's Bernard Stollman?

Bernard was a New York lawyer so everybody thought he was smart, but he was a foolish idealist like the rest of us. The only reason that label survived at all was because of his parents' money. They were in the clothing business or something.
про альбом Presenting Burton Greene
John Hammond at Columbia ... "You're the cat who plays the synthesizer. Burton, you've got to add the synthesizer to that record." The record was already done, but he said, "we'll pay you to work on the synthesizer." The magic word.
I drank a quarter bottle of Scotch. I rolled in the studio like Napoleon (laughs). There were wall-to-wall Moogs in the studio and five assistant Walter Sears engineers each getting $80 an hour to help me create. They said: "What will it be sir?" I said, "I'd like a Sine Generator 17 to start with, please. 17B." "OK, sir, yes.." (imitates the noises of a Moog) I said, "Hmm it's a little thin.." They said "what about a BX.." I didn't know sine from sawtooth! Hammond was like, "that's my boy!" We ended up with all this weird shit and had to find a place to put it. I said to [drummer] Shelly [Rusten]: "There's a little part of your solo there that we can.. enhance." He said "don't you put that shit on top of my solo, man!" (laughs)

AlexMachen
модератор
Контактная информация:

Сообщение AlexMachen » Пт дек 05, 2008 23:15

Brian Morton (PoD) писал(а):It's not quite appropriate for a Brit to propose it, but mightn't Sun Ra's music be every bit as appropriate as Sam Cooke’s as an anthem for the Obama administration

AlexMachen
модератор
Контактная информация:

Сообщение AlexMachen » Сб дек 06, 2008 00:20

Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath
ECLIPSE AT DAWN
Cuneiform
...At the start of this live recording made in Berlin in 1971, emcee Ronnie Scott introduces the band with his usual deadpan wit: "Most of the guys in the band come from England; and the rest of them come from South Africa, which is a wonderful place... to come from."

AlexMachen
модератор
Контактная информация:

Сообщение AlexMachen » Вт янв 20, 2009 15:15

Alex Ross (муз. критик) писал(а):You'll find younger composers studying the scratching rhythms on, say, Eric B. and Rakim's Paid in Full—if you wrote them down on music paper, they might look like Stravinsky.
может кто-то прокомментирует, никогда об таком не слышал

Владислав «vvb5p»
администратор
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Владислав «vvb5p» » Вт янв 20, 2009 17:07

AlexMachen
Капитан Очевидность подсказывает мне, что сложность такой музыки в обилии сэмплов, которые просто усложняют нотную запись до того, что она становится похожей на записи Стравинского
PEHDTSCKJMBA
Три уха

AlexMachen
модератор
Контактная информация:

Сообщение AlexMachen » Вт янв 20, 2009 17:27

снятие соло признанных импровизаторов - это метод обучения и развития кругозора общеизвестный, но о том, чтобы снимать ритмический рисунок со скретча я вижу упоминание впервые. именно это меня заинтересовало.

AlexMachen
модератор
Контактная информация:

Сообщение AlexMachen » Пн янв 26, 2009 15:09

Kieth Jarrett писал(а):I’m hearing something a split second ahead. I’m deliberately not playing that thing and playing something else that I believe will give me a much better chance of being fresh. In this flux, I don’t want to be the one to create a box.

Ответить